Old 06-12-2002, 09:58 PM
sacha

Default Giant Hogweed

in article , Sue Rogers at
wrote on 6/12/02 6:14 pm:

In article ,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
sacha wrote:

However, it (ragwort) won't do
the harm to humans (AFAIK) that Giant Hogweed will.

Ragwort contains poisons which damage the liver of grazing animals who
eat it. Eating a lot in one go causes acute liver failure, eating a
little over a long time causes chronic liver failure.

Commonest way of animals ingesting ragwort is through hay made from
fields containing ragwort. Ragwort has a bitter taste when alive so
animals avoid it unless starving. When dead it loses that bitter taste.

You often see hay advertised as "ragwort-free".

The advice to horse owners is to "wear gloves" when removing ragwort to
stop the toxins being absorbed through our skin - liver failure maybe?

snip
Could be. It's said to be absorbed slowly into the liver and that by the
time any effects are observed, it's too late for the cattle involved. If a
human was perpetually pulling it up over a long period, I suppose it *could*
have that effect, or it could be that the reference you read is what Nick is
thinking of - the effects of the plant or its pollen on the skin.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk