Old 18-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Reel Mckoi

"rc" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a pond thats roughly 400-500 gallons. Plenty of fish(20) and
plenty of plants. the water is pretty clear but I'm beginning to get
concerned about too much sludge on the bottom, espescially with fall
around the corner. Does anyone have any tips on a good bottom feeder?
What happens to the waste from the bottom feeders?

Nothing "eats" the sludge on the pond bottom. Bacteria will live happily in
it but they don't make it go away. That's why you must remove it yourself.
Since my ponds don't have bottom drains I have a fine mulm-net that gets
some of it but we do drain and clean both ponds at least every other year.
Not only do we get to remove all the mulm on the bottom, but we get to cull
the excess fish and plants which are sold or given away.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b