Old 06-12-2002, 10:19 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Giant Hogweed

In article ,
sacha wrote:

Could be. It's said to be absorbed slowly into the liver and that by the
time any effects are observed, it's too late for the cattle involved. If a
human was perpetually pulling it up over a long period, I suppose it *could*
have that effect, or it could be that the reference you read is what Nick is
thinking of - the effects of the plant or its pollen on the skin.

You absorb things much faster through the lungs. But I can't remember
the references, and currently don't have access to a proper literature
search (as there is a new mechanism and I haven't re-registered).

It certainly isn't a common problem, or else it would be on the Web.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679