Old 18-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Bob Hobden

Geoff wrote ...
I took my phalaenopsis orchid to get it replanted after another errand
yesterday. I left it in my car while I went in (for about an hour). I
then went and got it re-planted. When I brought it home I noticed that
the leaves had dark green sections on them and were slightly limp. I
figured that spending time in my hot car was what hurt them. I hoped it
would heal over night, but it did not. I'm afraid I have really damaged
the plant because today the areas are browning slightly.

Two pictures can be found at the following urls
(untill september 18th '05):

http://thecave.no-ip.com/temp/orchid1.jpg
http://thecave.no-ip.com/temp/orchid2.jpg

Firstly the pictures are of a Dendrobium not a Phalaenopsis and it looks
like a D.nobile hybrid which don't like it too hot as they are cool growing
plants. Don't worry too much, the young leaves look healthier and the old
leaves will fall off anyway.
http://www.sdorchids.com/den_nobi.htm
It looks like you didn't give it a totally dry rest last winter because it
has produced a new young plant on it's stem, I suspect instead of flowers.
Do some searching on Dendrobium nobile for proper care, they must have a
cool dry rest in winter to flower properly.

Phalaenopsis don't grow stems like that at all, they are flat plants with
leathery leaves in a rosette from the centre of which a flowering stem
grows.

--
Regards
Bob