Old 18-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
It is a very nice Brugmansia and the bonus of the variegated leaves
gives it a long season of interest. I'm pretty sure that Ray and
Sacha have this in stock quite regularly. At one time I did intend to
test it for hardiness here, but never got around to it and there's no
room left to try. So unless I heave something out or move to
somewhere with more space, hardiness will for me, remain a mystery.

As to the doubles, a few nurseries have double white forms of arborea
and/or suaveolens. In the past, I've seen double pinks and yellows on
offer too, so they are to be found. I'm not wild about them
personally and really prefer the unadulterated single trumpets. There
are some incredible hybrids - raised mainly in the US and Germany with
an astonishing range of rich shades. All very, very tempting, but
they grow so big even in a single season, that providing room for more
than 2 or 3 is a major problem, which I've managed to avoid so far.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

David, if I wanted to try them outside in the ground as a throw away plant
next season (I have plenty) how much shade will they do well in. my present
plant in a pot is lovely but its hard to keep fed and watered.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk