Old 18-08-2005, 11:28 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

I find this article misleading as it makes it sound like once a system is
cycled you can add fish and everything is hunky-dory, when the truth is,
with every addition all tanks and most ponds will again show ammonia, then
nitrite and then again be cycled to included the added member(s).

After all he gives this warning: *Warning: AVOID THE TEMPTATION TO GET MORE
FISH UNTIL AFTER YOUR TANK HAS FULLY CYCLED! More fish means more ammonia
production, increasing the stress on all fish and the likelihood of fish
deaths. Once ammonia levels reach highly stressful or toxic levels, your
tank has succumbed to ``New Tank Syndrome''; the tank has not yet fully
cycled, and the accumulating ammonia has concentrations lethal to your
fish. *

Which means, #1 he is cycling w/fish in the tank, otherwise why would he
mention "MORE FISH" and not FISH, and "more fish means more ammonia"?

Personally I like this website's definition, though it has it flaws also,
note this quote "The cycle begins when fish eat and then excrete ammonia."
And that's has always been my understanding, that a pond meant for fish
won't start cycling till they're included. The only way to minimize it, is
to add lots of plants that will take nutrients out, not to mention will
already be playing host to good bacteria, if not permanganated off. And to
add no more than 2 fish at a time, if small, 1 if larger. YMMV based on
size of pond and size of fish. If you have 10,000 gallons, putting in 6
small koi and you'll be lucky to see much variance in the cycle.

Another good tip though is when introducing new fish, continue to feed only
what you were feeding prior for the first 2 weeks, then slowly increase.

AND it is always a good idea to invest in a tub of Choram-X. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~