Old 07-12-2002, 12:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Humour - I saw this and thought of URG....

In article ,
Mike wrote:
In article , snafu steve
writes

Why did you think of URG? There is no gardening content in it

Hi mike, I think the word "bulb" saved it from being OT. Oh damn, here we go
again.......

As an Electrical Engineer may I point out that the original poster was
incorrect in referring to 'lamp' as a 'bulb'?

As a pedant, may I point out that the use of the term "bulb" to mean
an object of that shape dates from 1715, at which time Electrical
Engineers were few and far between? And that the use of the term
"lamp" to refer to an incandescent filament in a glass bulb always
was a rather dubious, as a lamp was a vessel containing oil with a
wick (as distinct from a torch, candle etc.)?

No, for our next question, how many pedants does it take to reduce
a thread to absurdity?

The answer is none, because it happens anyway, but pendants catalyse
the process :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679