Old 18-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Charlie
Pridham writes
Not grown them before, the Butternut squash we are trying is growing well
and flowering but they all seem male flowers, is that a normal timing

thing
or am I supposed to be doing something?

Normal. They produce lots and lots of male flowers first, then go over
to female flowers. It's the plant's way of trying to avoid self-
fertilisation.
--
Kay

I only have one plant so it had better fall in love with its self or I won't
be getting any, Bob seemed to think planting it late may have not helped but
I normally put all my beans and courgettes in in late May, we get frosts
until mid may so its never worth starting any earlier. As for the "Its
waiting for it to warm up" its been as hot this year as I ever remember in
Cornwall so may be its not a great thing to be growing here.
I wouldn't mind but its taking up an entire raised bed, and no Bob I am not
feeding it, it would take over the garden if we did!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk