Old 19-08-2005, 02:08 PM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:18:30 GMT, Sue wrote:

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:58:44 GMT, Sue wrote:

OK. I remembered to ask. The commercial field plants get about 2'
high and *do* have long vines that just grow along the ground.
However, there is some machine that goes through the field that pushes
the vines into the plants (I don't remember what it's called).
Commercial tomatoes are bred to flower and then fruit all at the same
time unlike your garden tomatoes that stagger this process.
As for yield I didn't both to ask because, as I said, the answer would
be in tons per acre.
The worm problem is solved by spraying but some do rot a bit.
Sue

Well, after reading some of your posts, the next post and after
talking to my friend Ed, who worked on a tomato farm, I realize what
to do for next year and that going deep, at the very least, is a must.
The angling makes lots of sense from what you said and from what
Richard said in the next post, by keeping the root ball near the
warmer surface.

I probably should have gone deeper with all my plants. The peppers,
we had little ones early and then they all disappeared, look unhealthy
with long thin dry looking stems.

We have sand underneath the soil so the angle planting might also have
had advantages in that the roots would have been fed by soil, not
sand.

Perhaps all my yellowed leaves and dead branches are because I didn't
do any of the above. I'm still getting plenty of tomatoes but for a
garden that is over 150 sq. ft., I should be getting more.

I had to make these mistakes to get to the next level.

Thanks again.

alan