Old 19-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
" Jeanne Stockdale" writes:

| I know there has been lots of discussion in the past re freezing vegetables
| (particularly runner beans) and whether or not they should be blanched. What
| about corn on the cob? My two freezer books both state that corn should be
| blanched for 5-8 minutes but hubby (he who will be eating them) thinks it is
| OK to freeze without blanching. Would welcome any comments

Most books grossly overstate the time needed for blanching - they
date from the time when cabbage and carrots were boiled for an
hour[*]. With most vegetables, it does help, but it is enough to
drop them in water and bring it back to the boil.

I would be surprised if sweetcorn was much different.
[*] Often with soda added.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.