Old 19-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Cat(h)

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article .com,
"Dani" writes:

snip lots of useful info on compost heaps.

I note that a heap can take two years to break down completely if it's
cold, and I suddenly feel a lot better about mine :-)

I bought one of those dismantlable square bins - I forget how many
litres, but it's huge, and on the go for just over a year, still not
full - and they are a nightmare to turn. Trying to get in there with a
garden fork is a pain, as you need to rest the fork handle on the edge
for leverage, and the sides of the bin click out of place. I also feel
at this stage that I should let that decompose, and start a new one.
I am seriously thinking of investing in a two-sided modular wooden one
- you know with those slats which slot into side frames - are they as
good as a plastic bin for composting? Unlike the OP, I am blessed with
a large garden, and would only have to shave a bit off the rhubarb to
site it.

As regards rats, I had some in the initial stages, but turning the
contents of the bin regularly seems to have scared them off. Haven't
seen the tail of one, nor indeed any evidence of their visit. Also,
following advice I got here, I do not put in any bread, meat or cooked
food, just veg scraps, grass clippings - not too much, those go to
mulch beds straight out of the mower - twigs, weeds, tissue and
shredded paper, etc.

It is undoubtedly a brilliant way to reduce the size of one's bin. No
doubt, soon, it will also provide wonderfully nutritious mulch for my
flowers and veg.... patience, patience...

Cat(h)
The world swirls...