Old 19-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
" Jeanne Stockdale" writes:

| I know there has been lots of discussion in the past re freezing
vegetables
| (particularly runner beans) and whether or not they should be blanched.
What
| about corn on the cob? My two freezer books both state that corn should
be
| blanched for 5-8 minutes but hubby (he who will be eating them) thinks
it is
| OK to freeze without blanching. Would welcome any comments

Most books grossly overstate the time needed for blanching - they
date from the time when cabbage and carrots were boiled for an
hour[*]. With most vegetables, it does help, but it is enough to
drop them in water and bring it back to the boil.

I would be surprised if sweetcorn was much different.

[*] Often with soda added.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Your comment re boiling for an hour and adding soda reminds me of when I
lived at home prior to getting married. My mother decided I needed some
practice at cooking so I had to help with the roast dinner at the weekends.
On Sundays, she would go off to church and leave me to cook the veg. She
told me that when cooking cabbage, add one teaspoon of salt and a pinch of
bicarbonate of soda (the latter is supposed to help maintain the green
colour). One particular Sunday I got it the wrong way round - a pinch of
salt and a teaspoon of bicarb - I have never seen such bright green cabbage
before or since!!! Since the day I got married (over 37 years) I have never
added bicarb.

Jeanne