Old 19-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| I am seriously thinking of investing in a two-sided modular wooden one
| - you know with those slats which slot into side frames - are they as
| good as a plastic bin for composting? Unlike the OP, I am blessed with
| a large garden, and would only have to shave a bit off the rhubarb to
| site it.

I use 10m of pig netting, cut in half and with each pair of ends
wired together. I hammer poles in to keep it in shape as it fills,
and move the wire when I need to start a new heap.

| As regards rats, I had some in the initial stages, but turning the
| contents of the bin regularly seems to have scared them off. Haven't
| seen the tail of one, nor indeed any evidence of their visit. Also,
| following advice I got here, I do not put in any bread, meat or cooked
| food, just veg scraps, grass clippings - not too much, those go to
| mulch beds straight out of the mower - twigs, weeds, tissue and
| shredded paper, etc.

Not from me, you didn't. I put all of that on, and the only problem
with rats is caused by next door's junk pile. Turning the heap is
the key, and the idea that they are attracted by particular ex-food
items is largely an old wife's tale.

| It is undoubtedly a brilliant way to reduce the size of one's bin. No
| doubt, soon, it will also provide wonderfully nutritious mulch for my
| flowers and veg.... patience, patience...

Yup. And it's good for potting, too, especially if made with
enough twiggery.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.