Old 19-08-2005, 07:16 PM

Default [IBC] Prunus Mume

Somebody suggested Prunus mume as a substitute for Prunus spinosa (sloe) for
bonsai. I would veto that for much of the US. I found that P. mume does very
poorly in hot dry summer weather. The leaves turn to schmatehs (rags).
I don't know yet about other climatic hurdles, but my new 'Hally Jolivette'
withstood this summer's barbaric dry heat admirably. It grew steadily, and only
had perhaps a handful of yellow leaves. Of course it is not wild looking,
since it has singly borne, semi-double flowers, but as Jim pointed out, there are
many wild native American cherries.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++