Old 07-12-2002, 03:23 PM
Kay Easton

Default Giant Hogweed

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , sacha
writes
I may be wrong but I was certainly under the impression that it was
notifiable.

It is - along with Japanese Knotweed - there is info about it on the
defra site.

yes, but it doesn't say it's notifiable, does it? Ragwort is controlled
under the 1959 Weeds act, and the DEFRA site says quite specifically
that this doesn't cover weeds growing on a particular plot of land, only
spreading to adjacent land. You don't have to tell anyone if you've got
it.

Giant Hogweed and Japanese Knotweed aren't covered under this Act - they
come under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act, and it's an offence to
let them spread into the wild.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: