Old 19-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Sarah Dale

Dani wrote:
1. Do I really need to put the thing in a sunny spot? It takes up the
whole width of our flower bed, and would have to go in the spot
currently used by a lovely plant that pops up all by itself every
summer.

Nope - put your plastic compost dalek somewhere out of the way - where
it suits you. Onto earth is the best, but anything will do if you're
pushed for space. I have my compost heap sited in the shadiest corner of
my garden to as to avoid wasting valuable growing space with better
growing conditions.

2. Should I raise it up on bricks to add air? Wouldn't this allow
rats/foxes to get in and fish out the food scraps? We have had our
black sacks opened by both rats and foxes in our garden, so we know
they are around and don't want to attract them (the rats, anyway)

You can, but I never bothered when I had a dalek. Be prepared for the
odd slimey bit of compost but no other problems. NB - you may need to
raise it if you're going to position it over concrete or other non-earth
surface.

3. If I don't need to get the compost out in a hurry, would it be OK
to just pile stuff and let it rot down slowly, or is turning a
necessity to make it work at all?

Absolutly! Pile it in at the top, and let nature get on with it - empty
out when the bin is full - use everything that has composted, and put
everything that hasn't back in. You can turn it - but with a dalek it is
VERY difficult - I know - I've tried and failed, and concluded it wasn't
worth it!

4. Can someone explain to me what the difference is between a hot heap
and a cold one?

A hot heap is generally built in one go with a particular mixture of
stuff that is known to heat up. It heats up and composts faster. Its
also said to kill off more weed seads. A cold heap is one that is
assembled gradually, again from a mixture of stuff. This will be what
you have unless your guinea pigs have the runs big time.....

If you can try mixing in the guinea pig bedding (c/w with guinea pig
output) with your grass cutting - it will rot faster.

Put all you kitchen scraps in - I put all food related paper (e.g.
grease proof, kitchen towel), uneaten food (not much in our house!), veg
off cuts, bones, fruit skin & stones etc. in, I also put in liquids such
as undrunk tea, gravy, vegetable cooking water etc. etc. I collect my
kichen waste in a solid plastic container with a tight fitting lid, and
empty into the heap every few days when it is full.

Put all your garden waste (grass cuttings, weeds, prunings) in the heap
as well, but don't put in too much twiggy stuff - your heap will take
years to digest it. I put small light, sappy prunnings into the heap.
But when I prune the hedge, the results get put in the council garden
recycling.

HTH

Sarah