Old 07-12-2002, 04:14 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Lemons & Oranges from Pips ?

"Nick wrote in message

The difference being that the odds are against you with citrus, even
WITH a productive variety! In the UK, at best you will get fairly
mediocre citrus fruit from the more cold-tolerant species. Our
weather is just too miserable for decent ripening, and you don't
have much hope with the seriously cold intolerant species (like
limes).

This doesn't stop it being fun to try, but don't expect a real crop.
And you can get a fairly decent amount of flower and as many fruit
as the plant will bear on some varieties - just not very good ones.

Our bought grafted plants, which are outside against a S. facing wall all
summer and kept in a small greenhouse heated to min 50°F in winter, do
produce fruit.
The oranges are very small but sweet, the Lemons are a useful size and
wonderful, the (Tahiti) limes are good too if a little smaller than in the
shops. Others, we haven't had long enough to find out.
Just don't expect too many fruit on small trees, we have 7 good sized lemons
this year, a G & T with your own Lemons is something to savour as is using
the peel in your Christmas cake. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.