Old 19-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Anne Donnelly

On 19 Aug 2005 04:55:51 -0700, "Dani"
wrote:

I sent off for a subsidised compost bin in the hope of reducing our
household waste output (kitchen scraps and guinea pig bedding, mostly -
we already recycle as much as we can).

Now it has arrived, it looks enormous in our very small garden, even
though it is the smaller of the two on offer (220 litre size).

Dani,

I had one of those in my not very large garden. I've now got a second
one since I like it so much!

Mine aren't in sunny positions and aren't raised up from the soil. I
thought it was supposed to stand on the soil to help the worms climb
in.

I'm pretty sure I don't do things properly. I shove in various
left-over vegetables and banana skins, egg-boxes, some newspaper and
bits of clippings from the garden - grass cuttings and anything that
isn't too woody. I think I should probably chop things up a bit more
than I do.

If I remember I sometimes stir things around a bit. If it looks a bit
dry I might water it.

Every few months I open the door at the bottom and I usually amazed
to find that there's stuff that looks like compost there. A minor
miracle. Sometimes I find bits that haven't rotted enough so I just
put them back in the top. It's all very easy.

I hope that's encouraging enough for you!

Anne