Old 20-08-2005, 06:14 AM
jOhN

Cindy wrote:
Yes, but don't prune yet. Wait until you're ready to move them.
Right now you should root prune.
http://gardening.about.com/od/garden...ootPruning.htm
Then you may want to wait until spring to move them.

Thanks for the info. I thought it was easiest to establish plants in
the fall, when there's little top growth. I also worry a bit about
root pruning now, when the weather has been so hot. Won't the plant
starve for moisture?

Good point about the heat. I learned to garden in Montana, so that didn't
occur to me. If it were me, I'd wait until it cools off to root prune, then
move it in early spring.

Fall is probably the best time for planting woody stuff in Texas. The
relatively mild winters give the plant the ability to get some roots
going before the spring leaf out.

My suggestion is transplant in fall, water regularly for the next year.