Old 20-08-2005, 04:18 AM
Ted

Thanks loads one and all. I learned plenty. Further, a vendour of
fine plans located in Michigan tells me that some Hibiscus are winter
hardy to USDA zone 4.

Anyway, the Hibiscus I bought from the grocer had no trace of wood in
stem. They strike me as being as delicate and succulent as the stems
of the begonias I have in pots out front.

The leaves on it are larger than other hisbiscus I have seen and rather
dull. Certainly no sheen on them as I have noticed on other hibiscus.

For the time being, I am leaving them in pots. This is because I plan
on creating raised beds in the front garden (a southern exposure, but
shade from noon to late afternoon and full sun the rest of the day -
due to a huge maple to the south west of the bed). I don't want to
plant them now only to move them in the fall. While I am not fond of
raised beds, this seems a necessary compromise since I have trouble
with my feet and lower legs (it seems to me just a matter of time
before my diaetes takes them), I can not get down on my hands and
knees; if I did so, I would not be able to get up again. And I can not
weed the garden standing up. With a raised bed, at least I could sit
on the edge of the bed while I am weeding. And this is something that
you have to do yourself if you want it done right.

Thanks again all,

Ted

R.E. (Ted) Byers, Ph.D., Ed.D.
R & D Decision Support Solutions
http://www.randddecisionsupportsolutions.com/
Healthy Living Through Informed Decision Making