Old 20-08-2005, 06:26 AM
presley

Hi Ted,
If these ARE hardy hibiscus (and it sounds as though they are), and you
want to keep them in pots, I would suggest that you let a light frost hit
them so that they go dormant, and then move them into an unheated room or
garage, or if you don't have that, then the very coolest part of your house.
Decidious perennials don't appreciate being in a heated house all winter.
Usually that kills them. I have a few perennials that I keep that way, in my
garage, which is attached to my house, but unheated. In the winter, the
temperature in there is about 35 degrees much of the time, especially in
December, January, and February. The plants stay dormant, without the pots
freezing) and then I let them out on warm sunny days in March (temperatures
like 45-50) so that they begin to break dormancy. Usually by April, I can
leave them outside all the time, unless a particularly bitter frost
threatens.
"Ted" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks loads one and all. I learned plenty. Further, a vendour of
fine plans located in Michigan tells me that some Hibiscus are winter
hardy to USDA zone 4.

Anyway, the Hibiscus I bought from the grocer had no trace of wood in
stem. They strike me as being as delicate and succulent as the stems
of the begonias I have in pots out front.

The leaves on it are larger than other hisbiscus I have seen and rather
dull. Certainly no sheen on them as I have noticed on other hibiscus.

For the time being, I am leaving them in pots. This is because I plan
on creating raised beds in the front garden (a southern exposure, but
shade from noon to late afternoon and full sun the rest of the day -
due to a huge maple to the south west of the bed). I don't want to
plant them now only to move them in the fall. While I am not fond of
raised beds, this seems a necessary compromise since I have trouble
with my feet and lower legs (it seems to me just a matter of time
before my diaetes takes them), I can not get down on my hands and
knees; if I did so, I would not be able to get up again. And I can not
weed the garden standing up. With a raised bed, at least I could sit
on the edge of the bed while I am weeding. And this is something that
you have to do yourself if you want it done right.

Thanks again all,

Ted

R.E. (Ted) Byers, Ph.D., Ed.D.
R & D Decision Support Solutions
http://www.randddecisionsupportsolutions.com/
Healthy Living Through Informed Decision Making