Old 20-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Janet Galpin

The message

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| Not grown them before, the Butternut squash we are trying is growing well
| and flowering but they all seem male flowers, is that a normal
timing thing
| or am I supposed to be doing something?

It's waiting for the weather to warm up :-(

Most people have trouble with all C. moschata varieties in the
UK, and butternut is no exception. I am not keen on it, anyway,
and prefer the C. maxima ones (i.e. the hubbards etc.)

Nick,

Please could you say a bit more about how the hubbard varieties compare
with butternut in terms of taste, time taken to mature and keeping
qualities. I'm just trying to get to grips with the range of different
types available.
This year I also have Delicata which isn't doing all that much yet but
which I gather should be quite prolific and be useful for immediate
eating as well as for medium term storage. It's offered by quite a lot
of seed companies so I'm hoping to be impressed soon!

Many thanks

Janet G