Old 07-12-2002, 06:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Lemons & Oranges from Pips ?

In article ,
Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

Our bought grafted plants, which are outside against a S. facing wall all
summer and kept in a small greenhouse heated to min 50°F in winter, do
produce fruit.
The oranges are very small but sweet, the Lemons are a useful size and
wonderful, the (Tahiti) limes are good too if a little smaller than in the
shops. Others, we haven't had long enough to find out.
Just don't expect too many fruit on small trees, we have 7 good sized lemons
this year, a G & T with your own Lemons is something to savour as is using
the peel in your Christmas cake. :-)

You are doing pretty well! But don't get people's hopes up too much,
as I suspect a disinterested observer would be a little less, er,
enthusiastic :-) I did say you can get fruit (even I have done it),
just that I regard it as more fun than a crop.

Perhaps I am being a little harsh, though, as I don't regard the
citrus you can buy in the shops here as up to all that much, because
it is picked unripe and artificially 'ripened'. Oh, and the Tahiti
lime isn't the same as the highly aromatic tropical lime, which is
the one I was referring to.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679