Old 20-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Galpin wrote:

C. maxima: usually with a wrinkled, thick skin, with rounded, rough,
thick skinned seeds, much higher in starch than C. pepo. They have a
similar flavour and texture to chestnuts or WHITE sweet potato. They
include hubbards, Queensland blue etc., and I have not found any worth
eating unripe.

By unripe, do you mean before curing? I.e. would you be picking in
September/October time and eating from a couple of weeks later?

More-or-less, yes. I have tried picking hubbards very young and
eating them as summer squashes, but they didn't taste very nice.
Not unpleasant, but not nice. And the same applies to even the
semi-ripe ones, only less so.

regards,
Nick.