Old 20-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Cat,

Welcome to rgo. If I read your post correctly, this plant has been blooming
for a while now. Though it sounds healthy enough, Phals (and most other
orchids, for that matter) need to rest a bit after flowering, which takes a
great deal of energy.

After my Phals bloom, it's always a temptation to squeeze some more flowers
out of them by trimming the spike rather than cutting it back completely. It
is a temptation that I learned to resist a long time ago. As you are seeing,
forced blooms are usually sparser than the original spike, and the flowers
are usually smaller as well.

If nothing else has changed, and if there are no pests or disease present,
it's just possible that the plant is pouting a la "I'm tired!"

HTH

Diana