Old 20-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Brian

"missymaisymoo" wrote in message

We have recently moved house and have a beautiful apple tree in our
garden that is absolutely covered in mistletoe!
I've read that mistletoe is a parasite but is it draining the nutrients
from the tree or just using it as a host to attach to?
How do I go about pruning/removing some of it as at the moment I can
hardly see the apple tree for mistletoe? (and it might bring in some
extra money at christmas!!)

Thanks in advance.

Mistletoe is only a partial parasite and only penetrates the xylem
for water and minerals~~ of which there is seldom a shortage. It has green
leaves and is thus able to photosynthesise for itself.
I really envy having such a tree. The mistletoe will certainly be of
value and a great talking point. It will do no harm and will not diminish
the apple crop~~ though the tree must be quite ancient anyway.
Best Wishes Brian.