Old 21-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Kay

In article , WaltA please@don
tbesilly.somewhere.com writes

I also have an old apple (Bramley) with a fair crop of mistletoe on
it.
I was thinking of removing most of it just in case it was damaging the
tree, however, now you have got me thinking ,,,
How would one go about selling this 'valuable' crop !

Through independent greengrocers at the relevant time - they'd probably
do it on a 'sale or return' basis.

There is a mistletoe auction each year at Tenbury Wells.

There is another tree on our patch that has a lot of it high up (way
out of reach even with a long ladder), I think I was once told it was
some sort of poplar ? Not the sort of poplar that I knew in my youth,
not the tall thin (Lombardy ?), a much more um open rounded fluttery
leaved thing, a 'tree' like tree !

Yes, there are several species of poplar, - the Lombardy is the tall
thin one. It's branches grow upwards rather than out in normal tree
fashion.

(That sounds stoopid dont it !)
with a habbit of dropping the odd 2ft dia. stem onto the unwary from
time to time.
What trees are commonly adopted by mistletoe ?

Typically old apple trees, one reason for its prevalence in
Worcestershire and Herefordshire. According to Mabey 'British Flora'
most of the supermarket stuff is now imported from apple and poplar in N
France. There are a number of other hosts.
--
Kay