Old 21-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
WaltA wrote:

I've made a note of the Mabey ref., for next time I'm at the library,
(is this the "Food for Free" Richard Mabey ?)

Yes.

We have lots of field maple (grow like weeds !) and hawthorn as well
so a tour of inspection seems indicated.
I've taken down several false acacia but no mistletoe on them, perhaps
not old enough, although one was about 50ft high,

As I said, it is a very pernicketty plant, and nobody is really sure
why it grows any why it doesn't. There is some serious research on
it going on, but it doesn't attract a lot of commercial funding.

More googling needed on how fast does false acacia grow !

Don't google too long, or it will have grown out of sight by the
time you get back to it :-)

The thing that restrains it in the UK is the cold and dark, but
even here (in the south) it is pretty vigorous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.