Old 21-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Lee and Kath contains these words:

I am fed up withh the unavailablity of bay leaves in the shops so I
want to have my own tree.

I live in SE sheffield. It is not particularly cold here - quite
sheltered. I do not have
agreenhouse or conservatory but the garage has a large clear part to
the roof (ivy grows INSIDE very
well) if shelter is needed in winter.

Is it easy to care fof?

Yes. Just plant it out, giving it plenty of room. Remember, it will give
dense shade, so it's best placed where the shade doesn't matter.

They grow to quite a decent height eventually - in the 1950s, our two,
planted in Essex in the 1920s were conical-ish in shape and about 18-20
feet high, with a 12 foot spread.

They can be trimmed or pruned quite ruthlessly though.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/