Old 21-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"Grumach Macabre of Auchterloonie" wrote
compo contains these words:

We have had a dreadful summer in the far north of Scotland, a bad
depression in the Norwegian sea causing cool northerly winds and low
cloud throughout July and some of August. As a result the tomatoes in
my polytunnel are reluctant to ripen.

How can I encourage the hard green fruits to ripen on the vine at this
late stage of summer?

Mine aren't ripening here in Norfolk - so much nearer the equator - and
many other gardeners here are commenting on the unripening of tomatoes.

Leave them as long as you can, then, keeping them on the truss, put the
ripest-looking on (say) a window sill indoors and they will gradually
ripen.

Others may be put in plastic bags with a ripe banana and the gas given
off (can't unforget what it is) will help accelerate ripening. You can
stagger this process and still have ripe tomatoes at Christmas.

However - don't leave the banana in the bag so long that it goes squodgy
and starts the tomatoes rotting...

I think melons have the same effect, but using them tends to be prodigal
on bags - unless you grow the melons yourself, and up in Caithness this
year they might be of a comparative size to yer martyrs innit.

Glad to hear it, I was beginning to think we were getting our Tomatoes
stolen from our allotment as we hadn't got one fully ripe one yet. Seems
it's the weather then.
Green Tomato chutney you can keep, yuk! Any that don't ripen go on the
compost heap here.

--
Regards
Bob