Old 08-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Ken Riley

Default Lemons & Oranges from Pips ?

On 7 Dec 2002 14:06:55 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
wrote:

I have been told by a professional citrus grower that lemon and orange
plants grown from pips seldom flower or fruit.

Pretty well. They might eventually flower but the fruit is unlikely to be
much cop.

(snip)
This doesn't stop it being fun to try, but don't expect a real crop.
And you can get a fairly decent amount of flower and as many fruit
as the plant will bear on some varieties - just not very good ones
Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:

Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

We are currently carrying in and out of the conservatory (out in the
evening into the warm living room, back into the light conservatory
for the day) a 12inch twig. It had leaves on when we bought it in the
spring and has had lots of flowers but by November we were singing
"four leaves on my lemon" then "three leaves on my lemon". Two weeks
ago the last leaf fell off and on Monday last the pathetic little
half-inch green lemon hit the carpet. Is there any hope for it? Are
we wasting our time carrying it in and out? It's in very well
draining compost and I only water it when it's almost dry.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)