Old 21-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:
"martin" wrote

The sparrow population declined from lots to zero between one year and
the next here.

And in our little garden it went from zero for years (about 20) to a flock
of about 15 in the last year. Amazing recovery and we can't keep the seed
feeders full any more. :-)
Even more amazing was a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker on the birdtable in early
summer.

I've got plenty of house sparrows here - not the sun-blotting clouds I
remember at harvest in the 'fifties, but I've deliberately left plenty
of ivy about the garden for them to nest in.

Song thrushes are a different matter. I haven't seen one round *HERE*
for years. Blackbirds, yes. Fieldfares and redwings in their season,
yes. But of thrushes, song or missile^H^H^mistle, zilch.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/