Old 21-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message

Winters well outside. We have a number of young coming along.

If, however, we return to the winters of 20+ years ago, it will
not overwinter reliably in the colder parts of the country. It
regrows well from its roots, but will not survive having its top
growth killed every winter. I am not sure what it can take, but
my guess is that -15 Celcius, probably even an extended period of
-10 with a wind, will kill its leaves.

I doubt it. Between the 1920s and 1970s I know that those bay trees in
Essex were perfectly OK. I can't speak for any damage between 1920 and
1950, but I never saw any frost or wind damage between 1950 and 1978

We used to get that, but I haven't seen such temperatures in
Cambridge in over a decade.

We used to get that as well, and you're right, such temperatures seem to
have receded into memory.

Give it somewhere well-drained and let it go. It can be pruned
back ad lib and even clipped.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/