Old 21-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Steve B.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 06:22:13 -0700, mingv wrote:

I've got a 1958 Briggs & Stratton 6B-S engine I'm trying to get running.
I seem to have good compression (thumb in sparkplug hole test). I've got
fuel dripping in the carb. I've got a new Champion J8 sparkplug gapped
to .020". Still won't start.

You have to have the screw for the air cleaner in the carb or it won't
run. If the screw is not there it will pull gas through that hole and
flood. This probably is not your problem now though....

There are points up under the flywheel on top of the motor. You
remove the starting assembly (did they have recoil back that far?) and
then use a flywheel puller to pop the flywheel off and you will find
the points and condenser under there. You will also find a key
between the flywheel and crankshaft that shears off if you hit
something with the blade. Check to make sure it is in perfect shape
and not sheared any as this will throw the timing out.

Points should be the same ones you will find on the shelf at the Home
Depot. One of those wires should run from the points to the coil.
Once you pull the flywheel you should find that wire and be able to
see where it goes.

Good luck getting the old girl running again. Sounds like a fun
project.

Steve B.