Old 21-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Bill O'Meally" wrote in message
Reel Mckoi wrote:

snip

Have you fertilized them and
do you have them in a good clay soil?

This may sound like a stupid question to more experienced ponders, but how
do you fertilize lillies without adding nutrients to the general ecosystem
and therefore promote algae growth?

I buy the Jobe's Rosebush tabs and break then into 3rds. These pieces are
forced down among the roots and covered with heavy clay soil and gravel.
Once a season is enough. Algae needs loads of sun, phosphates and nitrates
to grow. These numbers are very low in my ponds; Phos=0 and nitrates=10 so
little algae grows. :-) I have a lot of plants in my ponds competing for
any nutrients.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b