Old 21-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message

I doubt it. Between the 1920s and 1970s I know that those bay trees in
Essex were perfectly OK. I can't speak for any damage between 1920 and
1950, but I never saw any frost or wind damage between 1950 and 1978

I did. And I don't mean just in 1962/3, which killed most of the
ones I knew of, in one case not resprouting until 1964. I am pretty
sure that -15 Celcius will kill all of their leaves and young
shoots, from what I remember of those winters. Bean says that it
gets leaf-loss even at Kew in hard winters.

There may well be different varieties of different hardiness, of
course.

Possibly - our two trees didn't seem to suffer in '62/63. (Nor did I - I
started hitch-hiking so I could spend Hogmanay in the Western Highlands.
The blizzards followed me up the country, catching me up around Shap. At
that time I was in a small standard van. The driver, a Glaswegian also
intent of making Hogmanay north of the border wasn't to be denied. "Will
ye gait i' th' back and sit ower th' back axle? I'll gie us mair grup on
th' way up..."

Visibility was - er - not very far. He slung a comforting thought into
the back: "A' I hope is, we dinnae meet an arrrrtic camin' doon
sideways!"

Once in the Highlands, there was no snow, and I was in shirtsleeves at
Mallaig and over the sea to Skye the next day. Listening to the weather
reports on the radio prompted me to phone home and brag about the
weather...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/