Old 21-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Kay

In article , Jackie D Jackie.D.1u4r
writes

Cornflowers (Centaurea Montana)

Sorry if these like a dumb basic questions but I've avoided staking
because I don't seem to be very good at it. My cornflowers just looked
ugly and bunched but if I don't stake them they flop on the ground and
develop some kind of mould.

The mould is mildew, which is worse if the ground is too dry. It doesn't
usually get too bad until the flowers on that stem are over. You can
then cut the entire stem off at the base, and new leaves come up from
the centre of the plants.

It's nothing to do with the proximity of the stem to the ground, so you
will probably still get it even if you do stake.
--
Kay