Old 22-08-2005, 03:54 AM
Doug Kanter

"Anthony" wrote in message

"geezer" wrote
I am trying a few tomatoes in pots this year - they are growing okay
but do not seem to be ripening to red very well. They remain mostly
green and are now crackening because they probably are almost
completely ripened? Any idea why they won't get red?

Thanks

Because of deer problems, I'm using plastic pots (set on my deck) for the
third year. I use 15 gallon pots w/holes. The mix I'm using is about 2/3
soil, and 1/3 peat moss, well mixed together. I water every other day, a
heavy watering. For the third year in a row, my tomatoes are better than
they've been over the past 20 something years.

I'm thinking your pots are too small, and drying out too rapidly.

I have deer, too, but my tomato plants are caged. The deer are munching on
the ends of some of the branches that stick out of the cages, but I'm still
getting far more tomatoes than I can handle. Cages are the secret to
happiness, in more ways than one. Cleaner fruit, little or no cracking.