Old 22-08-2005, 04:29 AM
danny

My camera is a couple years old now, I have no idea about the current
models. As far as specs go, there are certainly things you can look for.

For taking pictures of small things, you want a camera that focuses on
objects very close to the lens. If you plan on taking pictures of miniature
orchids, make sure your camera can focus within a couple inches. Mine can
focus within 2cm and lets me get pictures of very small flowers.

Check the range of f-stops for the aperature. When you are focusing on
something close the depth-of-field is very important. My digital camera
only goes to f/10 and it's very hard to get all of a flower in focus on
close-ups. My film camera goes to f/32 with the macro lens and it makes a
huge difference.

If you can try the cameras, compare how well the built-in flash works. The
built-in flash on my camera is a nearly useless piece of crap. I'm able to
hook up an external flash to my camera and I use that for most of my
pictures. Another thing to check with flash is the shutter speed when you
are using the flash. On my camera it is 1/60 of a second, which is a little
slow. If I'm not holding the camera very still I get some blurring in the
image. I'd prefer something faster.

Just like with different films, different digital cameras will record colors
a little differently. My camera has trouble with pinks/purples/lavenders,
sometimes what shows up on the camera is quite different from what my eye
sees.

FYI my aging digital camera is a Nikon 4500. I'll probably look at the
Konica Minolta digital SLR cameras next year since I would be able to use
the lenses and ringflash from my film camera with those.

-danny

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
Hi All, I am thinking of buying a new dig camera so I am looking for
recommends and advise before I buy one.
Favourites so far, Kodak Z740, Konica Minolta Dimage Z5, Sony Cybershot
H1
.Any response on these cameras or what you have/are happy with would be
appreciated .
Thanks Keith
PS All these makes & specifications make your head spin,you think you have
found the camera for you then you read a bad review or see another one you
like !