Old 22-08-2005, 01:50 PM
pam

First, ants and spiders don't "eat" plants - actually, spiders are some of
the most beneficial creatures in the garden
and I wouldn't encourage their wholesale removal (although it can be very
tiresome to walk through their webs
constantly, specially at this time of year). Ants can be baited with sugar
laced with boric acid if they become a problem,
although other than farming aphids, they too are harmless to plants.

Earwigs can feed on flower buds, but they are more likely to chomp on
decaying organic matter. You can trap them
using a rolled up, moistened newspaper. Just place it in the garden in the
evening where you think they congregate and
collect in the morning and toss in the trash. They will have taken up
residence overnight.

What is actually feeding on your plants is none of the above. It is
difficult (and even irresponsible) to suggest controls
when one doesn't even know the source of the problem. Most insect pests are
nocturnal. Take a tour of your garden
at dusk and inspect the plants most affected. Be sure to look under the
leaves. Once you have located the real culprits,
report back here and we can provide some targeted advice.

btw, lawn insect pests are not the same as those that bother other plants.
Just treating your lawn will not deter other
nasties.

pam - gardengal

"CathyLee" wrote in message
I have earwigs, ants, spiders everywhere...I was trying to live with
them, I have holes in all my flowers, shrubs, they have ruined my
clematis, never seen it bloom in 3 years since I planted it because they
eat it. Now they are eating my August Apples, I have to do something.

I have a 2 year old and would like organic recipes or product
suggestions. I was thinking I should put something on the lawn in the
spring?

And something around the parameter of the house throughout the summer?

I Googled and came up with dish soap which may or may not kill some
plants?

Another said to spread powdered soap on your lawn mixed with
diatomaceous earth, I have looked and cant find large quantities just
the squirt bottles.

Any recipes that you have tried ?

--
CathyLee