Old 22-08-2005, 04:35 PM
George

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 01:13:35 -0800, Jan Flora
wrote:

In article ,
George wrote:

Something is eating our cabbage, starting at the top. (As opposed to
from the side.) Zuchinis also have been bitten, but apparently are
unworthy.

There are woodchucks and rabbits around, but I don't see any places
where the fence has been breached. And there are squirrels, who can
get over the fence. But, I have a trap right near the cabbage, and
it's usually hard to keep the squirrels out of it.

Which leaves (maybe?) deer. There's fresh 'sign' around, some near
(but outside) the garden. Would Bambi eat a cabbage?

Thanks,
George

All members of the deer family *love* cabbage. We have to put
up 10' high fences and keep barking dogs out in the yard to keep
moose (the largest member of the deer family) out of our cabbage
patch.

I lost my second and third plantings of broccoli and Brussells
Sprouts to a 3-day old moose calf earlier this summer. (Lost the
first planting to voles -- the Alaskan version of field mice.)

Jan
Zone 3, 59N, 151W

Moose? I guess there are worse things than woodchucks.