Old 08-12-2002, 11:48 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Lemons & Oranges from Pips ?

"Nick wrote in message

I am still a bit vague on the correct feeding regime for citrus plants.

Any
recommendations ?

The usual one is never to feed a plant in its dormant or inactive
seasons. The agrochemical companies sell expensive "winter feed"
but my guess is that it is pretty pointless.

Can't say I've noticed a dormant season with our citrus. The fruit grow all
year round, indeed, take up to a year to come to maturity, and the plants
seem to have there individual ideas about when to flower, strange plants
citrus.
I do use both a summer and winter feed although I have been told by one
professional it's not necessary to change ( their plants leaves were not as
dark green as ours), however I also find the use of a small handful of
chicken pelleted manure chucked on top of the soil a couple of times a year
does wonders.

Pests.. well it has to be scale as No.1. Even with the use of chemicals
these pests seem difficult to eradicate and I've now resorted to using a
high pressure spray of plain water and finger power to dislodge them going
over the plants leaf by leaf once a season. Very slow and a bit messy but it
does work and also gets off any sooty mould.
RSM I have not found a problem with but then our plants are outside from
late May 'till just before first frost, and I do occasionally spray them
with water in the greenhouse to keep the leaves clean.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.