Old 22-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

Ah. Now you're talking. I hanker. (Though my Shadow was all packed with
Lightning internals...)

Great stuff ! My Rapide had a Shadow inside, but outside I decided not
to add a Shadow 'clock', nor badges, cos it might have attracted
unwelcome 'admiration',

AFAICR there were no differences between the Shadow's internals and the
Rapide's. (Dammit, my Vincent book is still in store...)

HRD used to test each enginr on a brake, and the ones which came up to
scratch power-wise were painted black and went out as Shadows. Those
which didn't were sold as Rapides. However, if a Rapide had failed the
test because it was a tad tight, once it had run in it was very often
better than a lot of Shadows.

There may have been a difference in the gearbox internals though, as the
Rapide was billed as a 'tourer' and the Shadow as a 'sports model'.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/