Old 22-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Jenny

Ted wrote:
Hi Jenny

Thanks for this. That was quite informative.

There is one catch, though, and that is I have only had one Dahlia, and
I had to give it away at the end of the first year I had it in because
it turned out to be huge, overshadowing everything else in the garden.
Therefore, I have never attempted to over winter them either. What do
you do with Dahlias?

What I did with my dahlias (which were small and pathetic last year as
I'd planted them in a spot that was far too shady) was to wait until
after the frost, then cut off the withered foliage and put them in a box
filled with peat and store them in the basement where the temperature
stays in the mid-50s.

In late-April (which really was too early) I divided them and potted the
divided roots in potting soil, taking them outside when the weather was
above freezing and bringing them in at night and they grew huge. All the
miserable looking withered roots that I figured would do nothing
sprouted energetically. It was quite heartening.

Unfortunately, we had a late frost, which set them way, way back, but
they mostly grew back and my garden was jam packed with big, healthy
dahlias by mid-July.

Visit alt.support.diabetes for diabetes discussions. Bring your asbestos
suit. g
--Jenny

http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/ Type 2 Diabetes info
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/ Low Carb info