Old 22-08-2005, 10:08 PM
nambucca

"john" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have an average small suburban rear garden in London, about 10 x 10
metres.

It is about 5 to 10 feet deep in weeds. Each time I remove them they
grow again very quickly, and even a strange dingo-like dog which made a
home there, now has a house so packed with weeds he can't get in. For
various good reasons I cannot keep on digging out the weeds, but I want
to keep it as grass and not concrete or tarmac it.

This situation cannot be new to many readers, so please help, even a
useful URL or FAQ is better than nothing but I have not found any
useful advice on the net so far.

The best possibility so far is, after getting out the weeds and maybe
putting on Potassium Chlorate from Poundland, to cover the whole lot
with plastic bags, hold them down with stones and then put a thin layer
of dirt over that. But this appears in no way ideal, as rain will
remove the thin layer of soil and also it will be disturbed when walked
on.

What I would like is a no work patch of grass or lawn, shouldn't be
impossible in this day and age. All advice welcome.

Grass must be cut at least once a week plus you need to treat with a weed
and feed fertilizer in spring and an autumn feed too

If you want to start again from scratch you need to spray all the area with
glyphosate ........then dig it all over in the autum ...........ready to lay
new turf or seed it in the spring