Old 23-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:

In article ,
(Martin Sykes) wrote:

With secateurs, cut them off the truss witha bit of stalk rather than
pulling/twisting the tomato off. Then pull the little bit of stalk
off when you want to use them.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The tomatoes split on the plant about 12 hours
after becoming fully ripe.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

I believe splitting is usually considered to be connected with watering,
especially irregular watering, i.e. plants drying out a bit and then
getting a real drenching.

Can you just pick them slightly before fully ripe and eat them the next
day when they've finished ripening - or do they still split off the
plant?

I find Sungold is quite prone to splitting but haven't experienced much
on my Gardeners' Delight. (My watering is very hit-and-miss).

Janet G