Old 23-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:13:03 +0100, Janet Galpin
wrote:

Can you just pick them slightly before fully ripe and eat them the next
day when they've finished ripening - or do they still split off the
plant?
I find Sungold is quite prone to splitting but haven't experienced much
on my Gardeners' Delight. (My watering is very hit-and-miss).

Janet, you are right on two counts. My Sungold are splitting more than
GD, and I am also finding they are splitting after picking.
Shortage of water causes the skins to harden slightly, and then when
they get water the skins split rather than stretching.

Pam in Bristol