Old 09-12-2002, 09:14 PM
Kay Easton

Default Humour - I saw this and thought of URG....

In article , Andy Spragg
writes
Kay Easton pushed briefly to the front of
the queue on Sun, 8 Dec 2002 19:11:16 +0000, and nailed this to the
shed door:

^ In article , Andy Spragg
^ writes

^ Hehe. I didn't add up all the component numbers to check that they
^ added up to 1331, but (being the sort of chap I am) I have to ask: is
^ there any significance in the number being 1331? On account of it
^ being 11 x 11 x 11? I mean, the chances of picking a random number and
^ it being a perfect cube are pretty slim, you know.
^
^ *How* slim? Let's have some accuracy here!

We-ell ... I don't think there is actually an answer in general.

that's really what I was wondering - for example, the chance of picking
a single digit no at random and it being a perfect cube is 1 in 3. But
the chance clearly gets less as the numbers get larger - is there a
formula which gives the no of perfect cubes less than n? - presumably
the answer is yes, since they are fairly predictably arranged, unlike
primes.

But I'm now well OT!

--
Kay Easton