Old 23-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Kay

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Unfortunately, I am preparing to do the opposite, to see if I can
get rid of mealybug with Imidacloprid. It's pretty nasty stuff,
but there doesn't seem to be another systemic I can buy. In my
experience, the biological controls for mealybug are a complete
waste of time.

In the light of a Web search, I shall NOT be using it as a soil
drench, because that seems persistent over a period of a year
or more.

I wish I could think of another approach - it would help a great
deal if I could get some decent information on how it is likely
to overwinter, but so far every reference has been pretty useless
on the matter.

Its what we spot treat mealy bug with, never eradicates it but so long as we
do a good autumn and spring clean and tidy which gets rid of most
overwintering eggs it keeps the lid on things (I too have found in small
structures the BC simply escapes!)

Same here with the BC - good to know it's not that I'm uniquely inept! I
did find a few of the BC larvae around, but nowhere near enough to be
effective.
--
Kay