Old 23-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes:

| The message
| from martin contains these words:
|
| On the web there is a report about somebody who is no more after he
| refilled a paraffin refrigerator with petrol.
|
| On the web there is a report of someone else he is no more after fitting
| his car with a JATO bottle and setting it off on a long, straight piece
| of road.
|
| But it's fiction.
|
| Though amusing.

Yes. The stories about people blowing themselves up by putting
petrol into paraffin equipment are not fiction, though. Not at
all.

Don't I know it! When I was about thirteen I bought a little petrol
stove from a sort-of early version of those cheapo goods shops you see
about now.

I took it down the garden and filled it as per destructions, and lit the
dribble of petrol in the reservoir on the top. The flame began to roar
in a most satisfactory manner, but I became alarmed as it reached
further and further out beyond the billycan I'd put on it.

I retreated. A few minutes later there was a loud *BANG*!, a
considerable pillar of flame, and the billy (with a couple of pints of
water in it) was hurled about ten feet away on a rainbow trajectory.

Now that was not even a paraffin stove. Well, after that it wasn't even
a petrol stove. The body of it was opened up like a flower, and I never
found the burner assembly.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/